Thursday, July 30, 2015

Motherhood and Grandmother-hood -- Both Joyful Experiences



As a child and teen I envisioned my future as a wife and mother.  Never was there any other career or occupation in my imagination.  That’s pretty typical for SJs.  We are all about family, hearth, and home.  However, I never got beyond the vision of wife and mom to grandparent.  My mind could not imagine that far.  Such a pity!  It limited the joy I was able to experience in my imagination then.  (Teens don’t usually look forward to being that “old,” do they?)  

Ray says he enjoys every experience he plans three times: first, when he imagines and plans the event; again when he experiences it and, finally, in his memory.  

Imagination can bring great joy!  Once I became the mother of adult children, though, my imagination began again and I began to enjoy imagining the times and experiences that I would share with my children as they became parents and with my grandchildren when they arrived.  There is a saying that “grandchildren are your reward for being parents” or something like that.  It’s true!

Now that I have 4 beautiful granddaughters, I get to experience that great honor of being a grandmother.  The joy is multiplied by knowing that these little ones will be loved so deeply for the rest of their lives.

I’ll make the best of this experience as I practice Ray’s routine:  enjoying as I plan my visits with them, living the visits, and remembering them!

Joy is always greater when shared.  Thanks for allowing me to share mine with you!