Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The Joy of Watching Children Grow!

Some little girls (my granddaughters) gave me great delight recently.  I love being a grandmother. Nothing brings more joy than the excited greeting from them as they scream "Mema" and come running to greet me upon my arrival.  Is there a grandmother anywhere who does not love that?  I doubt it.

Two of my four granddaughters are SJs:  one is an ISTJ (same as me) and the other an ISFJ.  I observed some very SJ-like expressions of temperament in one of the SJs recently.

The ISFJ currently shares a room with her ISFP sister.  The SP  is all about what she is doing "in the moment" (typical of SPs) and when she is looking for something that she wants to play with or a costume she wants to wear, toys and things fly every which way as she goes in search of the sought-after item.  Once it is secured and while she is still "in the moment," she enters her world of play and continues until the next stimulation prompts the next search.  The SJ (13 months the SP's junior) entered their room after just such quest and, looking around, remarked, "This room is a wreck!"  She is very careful with her toys and treasures (also typical of SJs), so she was disturbed.

On another occasion, the SJ observed something her SP sister was doing — something she knew would not please their mom — and remarked, "Not a good decision."   I chuckle every time I remember the scene and hear those words in my memory as she expressed them.  Even at this young age, the drives of their temperaments are already finding very strong expression.

We must appreciate both the SJ and the SP for who they are.  Each has wonderful qualities that their InnerKinetics have provided.  The challenge for us is to help the SP express courage, for instance, as opposed to just "daring" (the difference being the wisdom and determination to do the right thing even when others are "daring" her to do the opposite when no one else is looking).  We must help the SJ to increase faith, avoid worry, and to remember to play and experience joy as well as be responsible.  The two temperaments can help each other as long as they appreciate each other's opposite strengths.

I love my little granddaughters and am joyfully watching them grow and develop into the wonderful, but very different persons that their Creator designed them to be.

Have you observed such temperament-specific strength displays in your children or grandchildren? Share them with us on I'M A KEEPER's FaceBook page.