Monday, January 4, 2016

The Miracles within CHANGE


Yesterday, with great reluctance, I dismantled the Christmas tree and packed away all the decorations.  Traditions are a huge part of the SJ’s world and Christmas has always been very special in my life, such a miracle is this season. 

As a kid, Mom recognized it’s importance to me.  She always had me assist with the decorations and when I was big enough to handle the task on my own, she turned it over to me.  

When we moved into our first BIG house, I added a second Christmas tree and began a tradition of having a crowd of friends over for a Christmas Tea (English “high tea” style) on a Sunday in December.  The traditions grew with each passing year until our move to New Zealand in 2005.  Traditions had to change then, of necessity.  Change and tradition seem to oppose each other, and that's exactly what happened then.

There must also be a moving beyond traditions like Christmas (although all the beauty, warmth, memories, and magic of sharing with family and friends during the holiday creates my reluctance). So, I have moved into the new year with the hope and anticipation of what this year will bring.   

Changes are taking place in our lives, as I am sure they are in yours as well.  That’s inevitable as long as we are alive.  Change happens constantly.  SJs dislike - or are very cautions about - change. Admittedly, it has been a challenge for me to adjust at times.  But change we must, and the best idea is to accept the changes and make sure they are changes for the better, aided by positive attitudes, growth to accommodate the changes, and an eagerness to see the miracles that the changes bring.

Yes!  I did say “miracles.”  Miracles are only recognized in hindsight, you know.  Therefore, with each change, and even in the apparent “calamities” you face this year, watch for the miracles that you’ll see when you look back on the experience.  When you anticipate the miracles, it’s much easier to adjust to the changes and struggles.  Let’s make it a “tradition” to welcome change and watch for the miracles they bring.