Monday, March 28, 2016

Is Your Spring Full of Weeds or Wishes?

Last week I saw the first dandelions near our Colorado home.  (Winter hangs around a little longer here than it does in my native Texas.)

What do you see when you look at this picture?

Is it a invasion to a beautiful lawn (read "weeds")?

Or is it an opportunity to grab one of those puff balls, blow on it and make a wish like you did when you were a kid?

It's a lot like looking at half a glass of water and asking whether it is half full or half empty.   Our answer says a lot about our mindset.

SJs tend to scrutinize things and attempt to "fix" things and make things orderly.  More often than not, we SJs would look at this picture and say, "Weeds!  Get the week killer.  They're invading the lawn and making our yard look uncared for."

An SP or NF, on the other hand, would be more likely to grab one and with glee blow the seeds everywhere, upsetting the caretaker SJ.  NTs might study the flower and the seed head carefully to determine the details of its reproductive cycle -- with no emotion evident.

I can be a little less distressed these days when I see dandelions since we don't have to do lawn care.  (Townhome living has its perks!)  So when I see these bright yellow "flowers," I smile at their sunny color that reminds me that summer IS coming -- soon.  And when I can blow a seed head with my granddaughters and make a wish, my "age" reduces significantly.

One of the things I try to do these days, however, is to remember to focus on the glass half full and choosing the joy of childhood wishes!  That mindset will give my days much more pleasure and that, in itself, is a wish come true.